If you work in the music industry, you know how crazy of a ride it can be. Here are ten things you'll understand if you're in the music industry.
1. Trying to get people to gigs
You better hope there isn't a cover charge.
2. Your friends and family asking when you're going to get a "real job"
"Mom... Music is a real job."
"O.K., well where are your health benefits then?"
3. That moment when you're flat broke
And you swore off fast food. Tsk... Tsk... At least you have the latest Alabama Shakes record to keep you company while you down that four dollar meal.
4. That phone call when you finally get a big meeting with a decision maker
Deep breaths... deep breaths. Oh, you to have to reschedule until next week? Yeah, I guess that's fine. Not sure how I'm going to deal with an another week of replaying imaginary conversations between us though.
5. The kick in the balls when they turn you down
Getting rejected happens to the best of us. Believe me when I say you're not alone.
6. Writing the greatest song you've ever written in the history of ever
Now the fun part: getting people to hear it.
7. And having zero inspiration the next day
But I did so much yesterday. Can't I just study Netflix for song ideas?
8. Just how vital it is to set your equipment up properly
Oh god. The post technical difficulty smile is so damn painful.
9. Going crazy trying to be "fresh and original" yet stay commercial at the same time
Oh authenticity, you fickle mistress.
10. The real meaning of the word "Hook"
You know it's true.
11. Despite all the ups and downs, doing what you love